to cater (verb)- to give everything that is needed (and more). Sheila caters to her children. She gives them everything and sometimes she doesn't have time to do things for herself.
TLC = Tender Loving Care (noun)- Children should be given a lot of TLC when they are young. It helps them to become happy and caring adults.
courtesy (noun) / courteous (adj)- good manners, polite behavior. It is important to show courtesy to the king. / He is a courteous man. He speaks in a kind manner and is very polite.
to adore (verb) / adoration (noun)- like or admire very much. I adore this new sweater. It is so beautiful. / Some people give adoration to a lot of movie stars.
affection (noun) affectionate (adj)- caring or love for someone, showing love to someone (by action). Leila shows her affection by bringing flowers to her mother. / Mary is an affectionate person. She always holds her boyfriend's hand and puts her arms around his neck.
to be fond of (verb) / fondness (noun) / fond (adj)- liking someone or something. John is fond of tomato soup. / Mary has a fondness for James. / He is my fondest nephew.
Check Your UnderstandingChoose the best word. If you have troubles, check to make sure the part of speech (noun, verb, adj) works in the sentence.
1. We should be polite and ___ when we have a job interview.
2. Tony is an ___ man. He always hugs and kisses his wife.
3. Sometimes when the baby cries he doesn't need food or toys, he just needs some ___ so he can feel that someone cares.
c. fond of
4. Maia is ___ of children and animals. She likes to play with both of them.
5. Michael ___ to his wife. If there is anything she wants at all, he gets it for her.
6. Susan ___ her best friend. She thinks her best friend is the best person in the world.
7. Jeremy ___ his pet mouse. The mouse has great food and a huge cage to live in. I think it's too much. I wish my life were as good as that mouse's!