A: It is very hot.
B: It is too hot.
A is a simple statement- It's HOT!
But B shows some difficulty, like maybe because it is so hot, I feel terrible. Or because it is so hot, no one is happy.
Here are some more...
C: Lisa is very tall.
D: Lisa is too tall.
C is a simple statement. Wow! Lisa is a tall girl.
But D has a negative feeling. Perhaps because Lisa is tall, she hits her head on the ceiling. Or maybe she is so tall, she can't get a date or has no friends.
So remember, using too shows that there is a problem with the situation.
Check Your Understanding
|Choose very or too. Check
your answers by clicking on the arrow below.
1. I think James is nice. Karen thinks James is nice, too.
2. It's cold outside. I hate it. I might become sick if I go out.
3. That box is so big. I can't pick it up.
4. Tony's cat is fat. It weighs 8 kg.
5. Tony's cat is fat. It can't run. It may not live a long time.