Here are some examples:
I wish I had a new job.
Teri wishes she knew Tom Cruise.
Jim wishes Karen liked to cook.
The boys wish they could go to Hawaii.
Notice you use the past tense verb in the clause after wish. But when you use a be verb in the clause, always use were.
I wish I were the president.
She wishes she were here now.
We wish we were at home.
Check Your UnderstandingChange the sentences to use wish. Check your answer by clicking on the arrows.
I want to have a bike.
I wish I had a bike.
Mary wants to be a movie star.
Mary wishes she were a movie star.
1. Joseph wants to see his friend.
2. Eric and Steven want to have a new car.
Frank wants to be a pilot.
3. Sharon wants to be married.
4. You want to be able* to play the piano.
5. Stephanie wants to be young.
6. Mike wants to speak Spanish.
7. Carrie wants to have more time.
*Remember: to be able = can